Back-End Drupal Developer
At I.F., we design, build, maintain, and grow sites on our open source, highly available web stack for some of the largest cities, public libraries, and government agencies in the country. Our company’s purpose is to make government online more relevant, accountable, and responsive to everyone. We also created a suite of proprietary analytics tools that survey millions of people living in the U.S. each day. We are growing quickly and are looking for a senior engineer to continue to deliver cutting-edge, open sourced websites for our clients.
I.F. is a 13 year-old company with team members in Seattle, Chicago, and the DC area, among others. As a purpose and principles-driven organization, we are looking to work with talented team members who want to make a difference.
We provide a remote work environment, and have for ten years, so you don’t need to move for this job. We encourage face to face collaboration in our regional offices and expect you to travel when required. (All travel has been on hold during the COVID-19 pandemic. We expect to return to “normal” when it is safe and appropriate.)
Areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to:
- Hands on back-end technical design, integration, development and maintenance of civic and municipal websites.
- Gathering and interpreting project technical requirements and edge cases, translating these into Drupal architecture and technical specification documents.
- Troubleshooting and supporting pre-production and live production environments; serve as an escalation point for resolution of challenging technical issues.
- Partnering with colleagues to define, implement and sustain standards, processes and tools that support organizational scalability and flexibility.
- Collaborating effectively with and mentoring remote colleagues.
- Drupal community involvement in support of overall I.F. engagement and presence strategy.
- U.S. Citizen or have a Green Card. We are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
- Five+ years experience building Drupal-based solutions; at least three years experience with Drupal 8 backend development.
- Drupal 8 and 9 custom module development.
- Experience integrating and customizing Drupal core and contrib APIs, hooks, and events.
- Strong software development, design and architecture experience; commitment to quality demonstrated through the ability to translate complex technical requirements into functional software using best practices.
- Experience with common system architectures and issues facing high traffic Drupal sites.
- An understanding of OOP, PHP principles and core Symfony fundamentals including Plugin development, Dependency Injection, Routing and Service definitions.
- Experienced PHP7 developer, familiar with the latest features of PHP
- Highly experienced with source control principles and code quality in a Git environment including workflows, code review processes and test driven development
- Demonstrated critical thinking and problem solving skills grounded in the attitude that every challenge is an opportunity to improve; motivation to step outside of your comfort zone and learn new technologies and systems.
- Demonstrated commitment to I.F. Purpose & Principles based on employment history and experience and interview(s).
- Strong people and collaboration skills to interact with staff, colleagues, cross-functional teams, and I.F. clients.
- Ability to drive a culture of quality and personal accountability and inspire trust.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex issues/projects.
- Demonstrated success in working in a highly collaborative team environment: ability to resolve conflict and to discern when to strongly advocate for a position and when to seek compromise.
- Ability to anticipate and adapt to changing conditions and opportunities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to travel to various locations across the United States
- Experience with component based software design
- Experience with SASS/CSS and task runners such as Gulp or Grunt
- Expertise in modern database development (MySQL/MariaDB)
- Experience building sites that scale properly with demand in containerized environments
- Drupal caching implementation and optimization experience
- Experience implementing/integrating with single sign on (SSO)
- Experience with search integration (ElasticSearch experience preferred)
- Experience working with a DevOps Team
Why work with us?
- Help us build and scale an organization that directly impacts the lives of millions of people living in the U.S. every day
- Work in a fully remote environment. Be prepared to travel once a quarter for face-to-face with the team
- Healthcare, and Dental/Vision/Life/Disability plans
- Access to a 401(k) plan
- Unlimited vacation, and a flexible schedule
Interpersonal Frequency LLC is an Equal-Opportunity Employer (EOE).