Director of Engineering
The Director of Engineering will provide program oversight to ensure we are scoping and delivering technical solutions to municipal organizations according to requirements and expectations. To complete this objective, the Director will be responsible for recruiting for, managing, developing, and mentoring a geographically diverse (including offshore), world class engineering team. Candidates must have a proven track record of leading teams with a focus on operational excellence, driving a new level of standardization, efficiency, and quality.
A successful Director of Engineering will possess experience and passion for building and leading high performing complex engineering teams in a growing agency environment.
- Drive a positive culture built on trust, a sense of ownership, criticality, transparency and a sense of dedication to improving the efficiency of web technologies available to municipalities
- Provide forward thinking Drupal technology leadership and direction
- Budget for resource allocation, tooling, and 3rd-party services
- Provide direction on key project milestones from initiation to delivery and oversee scheduling and organization of departmental activities to ensure completion of projects and products on schedule within budget
- Develop, deploy, integrate, support and enforce software development best practices, standards, tools and processes
- Proactively lead and provide detailed updates at the leadership level to ensure team alignment
- Demonstrable commitment to the Drupal open-source community
- Professional and positive approach, self-motivated, strong in building relationships, team player, dynamic, creative with the ability to work on own initiative
- Have a proven track record and passion for building world class products
- Capacity to bring remote/virtual teams together
- Proven experience managing a fleet of high-availability Drupal web platforms for separate large enterprise customers, and the technical expertise to develop truly scalable operations for dozens of customers
- Strong strategic planner able to dive deep to uncover and resolve executional challenges
- Ability to motivate and inspire the team and capable of providing cross team leadership
- Experience creating efficient engineering teams that deliver while promoting a collaborative culture
- Strong understanding of cloud technologies and concepts, PaaS, SaaS, and AWS
- Knowledge of container based architecture and continuous integration (Docker, Kubertnetes)
- Proven track record of successful Professional Services delivery in a Drupal, WordPress enterprise setting
- Proven ability to break down a strategic roadmap into a focused series of wins
- Demonstrated track record of managing multiple projects in parallel and to deliver on plan
- Experience recruiting, hiring and retaining top engineering talent
- Experience managing vendor-partner relationships with other technology firms
- Experience working distributed with offshore centers and other locations
- Bachelors Computer Science or engineering degree with 10+ years Engineering management experience (or 12+ years engineering management experience)
- Experience managing multiple scrum teams across different locations
- Demonstrable situational problem solving capacity
Why work for I.F.?
- Work for a company with purpose: We empower public organizations to be more relevant, accountable, and responsive in engaging their communities via technology.
- Your work directly impacts the lives of millions of people. Over 4% of people living in the U.S. use I.F. technology every day.
- Healthcare, and Dental/Vision/Life/Disability, and 401(k) plan
- Unlimited vacation and a flexible schedule
- 100% virtual work environment - work from home or a coworking location!
- Your coworkers are a small, handpicked team of amazing people.